Long Term Oral Steroid Medication Induce Hip Dislocation in Pediatric : A Case Report
Oral corticosteroids play a major role in the treatment of diseases such as dermatitis. In adults, osteoporosis is a well-known and major complication of oral corticosteroid treatment. A recent study reported that the risk of hip fracture and dislocation was doubled in adults using higher doses of oral corticosteroids. Its findings suggested that the adverse skeletal effects of oral corticosteroids manifest rapidly. Several studies have reported decreased bone density in children taking oral corticosteroids. No studies have evaluated the risk of dislocation in children taking oral corticosteroids.
2. Epstein HC. Traumatic dislocations of the hip. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1973;92:116-42.
3. Mehlman CT, Hubbard GW, Crawford AH, Roy DR, Wall EJ. Traumatic hip dislocation in children: long- term followup of 42 patients. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2000;376:68–79.
4. Kennon JC, Bohsali KI, Ogden JA, Ogden J III, Ganey TM. Adolescent hip dislocation combined with proxi- mal femoral physeal fractures and epiphysiolysis. J Pediatr Orthop. 2016;36(3):253–61.
5. Herrera-Soto JA, Price CT. Traumatic hip dislocations in children and adolescents: pitfalls and complica- tions. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2009;17(1):15–21.
6. Novais EN, Heare TC, Hill MK, Mayer SW. Surgical hip dislocation for the treatment of intra-articular injuries and hip instability following traumatic poste- rior dislocation in children and adolescents. J Pediatr Orthop. 2016;36(7):673–9.
7. Bressan S, Steiner IP, Shavit I. Emergency department diagnosis and treatment of traumatic hip dislocations in children under the age of 7 years: a 10-year review. Emerg Med J. 2014;31(5):425–31.
8. Thompson VP, Epstein HC. Traumatic dislocation of the hip; a survey of two hundred and four cases cover- ing a period of twenty-one years. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1951;33-A(3):746–778; passim.
9. Hsu Emory, Nanes Mark, 2017; Advances in Treatment of Glucocorticoid-Induced Osteoporosis. Curr Opin Endocrinol Diabetes Obes. 2017 December ; 24(6):411-417. Doi:10.1097/MED.
10. Rahyusasalim Ahmad, Tendean Ronald, Wisnubaroto Rizky, Kurniati Tri, 2019; Pathological fracture due to prolonged steroid use in child with transverse myelitis. Journal of Pediatric Surgery case reports 43 (2019) 62-65.
11. Sarinho ESC, Melo VMPP. Glucocorticoid-induced bone disease: mechanisms and importance in pediatric practice. Rev Paul Pediatr 2017 May 29;35(2):207–15.
12. Harrington J, Holmyard D, Silverman E, Sochett E, Grynpas M. Bone histomor- phometric changes in children with rheumatic disorders on chronic glucocorticoids. Pediatr Rheumatol 2016 Dec 10;14(1):58.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.